Flower arrangements are a perfect way to liven up any interior. However, you'll also need a pretty vase to go with your flowers. Keep in mind that not all vases complement certain types of flowers. With so many styles, sizes, and shapes available, choosing a vase that will match well with your bouquets can be quite overwhelming.
Whether you're picking out vases for your living room, bathroom, or bedroom, you can refer to this guide to help you select the best option based on your display of flowers and room settings.
What are the different types of vases to choose from?
There is a wide selection of vase designs that you can experiment with in different rooms and with various flowers. Here are the most common types of vases:
- Column and cylinder vases are tall and elegant and pair up well with flowers with long stems such as sunflowers and lilies. These are ideal if you want to display the flair of your long-stemmed flowers.
- Hourglass vases form a harmonious combination with shorter-stemmed flowers with voluptuous shapes, like roses and peonies. These vases have a curvaceous form with a wide bottom, narrowed in the center, and somewhat flared at the top.
- Although fish bowl vases aren't appropriate for all types of flowers, they are particularly fitting for individual branches or posies of hand-tied flowers such as roses and tulips.
- A bundle of small blooms looks best in bud vases. They usually come in mismatched sizes which are perfect for slim branches, small delicate flowers, and simple arrangements.
A rectangular vase is a good option if you want more space to spread out your floral arrangements.
Narrow necked vases are suitable for long flowers with thin stems. Because of its narrow opening, thick bouquets should be avoided.
How to select the best vase for different decors and rooms?
Vases can be placed just about anywhere from the table to floor, or even hanging on a wall. The vase you should buy can be determined by the location you're going to place it in.
- If you're looking to display your flower arrangement on a table, the best option is to choose table vases. These come in various designs, are lighter and smaller, and can also be placed on shelves and countertops.
- Floor vases support larger bouquets, are typically the centerpiece in a large room and should match with the room's decor since they are quite large.
- Wall vases are modern, can add a touch of personality to any interior, and are ideal for households with pets and children.
- Vases with sculptural designs are a great addition to place in art decor and eclectic interiors.
- If the interior has a minimalist style, opt for plain and neutral-colored vases. Neutral colors, such as white and beige, match well with all sorts of flowers.
- Choose a colorful vase if you want to spice up an interior and make it eye-catching. Green vases are versatile and look good with various flowers, such as yellow, red, and pink ones. Gray vases create a calm atmosphere and make the flowers stand out.
- Round and oval vases can easily be placed on console tables and sideboards to bring about a charming focal point in elegant and simple spaces.
- Medium-sized vases are ideal for making a welcoming statement.
- Smaller vases, such as bud vases, can be placed on bedside tables and in bathrooms. They brighten up simple rooms and add a homey appearance. Small posy vases are ideal for dinner tables since they don't get in the way.
- Rectangular vases and cube-shaped vases look best in modern interiors.
Additional aspects to consider when purchasing vases
- The vase's size is another important aspect to consider in addition to its shape and style.
- The flower stems should be two times the vase's height at most. For instance, 10-inch stems would need a vase that's 5 inches.
- Take the flower's measurement and divide it by 2.5 to get the vase's preferable height.
- Only choose transparent vases if you're willing to regularly clean and maintain it.
- Some vase colors can energize you while other colors can evoke feelings of relaxation.
- For an office vase, choose a warm color such as orange to enliven the atmosphere.
- Pick calm colors such as palladian blue if you want a more relaxing environment.